Trauma and alcohol addiction are interrelated. So much so that many addiction treatment centers will use a trauma-informed approach. This approach to addiction treatment has been proven to help successfully overcome the mental, physical, behavioral, social, and emotional effects of a substance use disorder. Trauma-informed care is an approach that helps treatment providers customize an effective treatment plan for those who have experienced trauma and trauma-related stressors as part of their substance use disorder. There is a high co-occurrence between substance use and trauma. It is recommended that substance use disorder treatment specialists understand the high co-occurrence of trauma and substance use and use trauma-informed care as part of their treatment plans to provide the highest level of care.
For more information on alcohol addiction therapy and trauma-informed care at Crossroads, give our team a call 877.978.1667.
Trauma-Informed Approach to Treatment
Traumatic experiences can be catalysts for many substance use and mental health disorders. Using the traumatic experience as part of trauma-informed care can be a highly effective part of receiving addiction treatment. This approach centers around the awareness that trauma affects addiction and vice versa. This can help heal the addiction a bit easier to go through. Recognizing that traumatic experiences can bring on addiction and that addiction can also cause trauma is part of the approach. Trauma-informed care can be utilized in most mental health treatment and can be individualized and customized based on the program’s specific needs and goals with the population they treat.
A trauma-informed approach includes the following:
- Recognition of the substantial impact trauma has on addiction and understanding the paths to recovery.
- Recognition of the signs and symptoms of trauma in the entire support system, including the one suffering from addiction, their family, and the professionals helping them.
- Integration of trauma-informed information into all procedures, policies, and practices.
- A focus on preventing relapse and re-traumatization.
Alcohol Addiction Treatment and Therapy
A driving force behind the programs at Crossroads is our passion for helping women and men remember the life they used to live or strive for before addiction. Substance use disorders can ruin lives and cause people to lose sight of who they are and where they want to go. Our team wants to help you or a loved one get a fresh start. We believe in developing a toolbox of skills that clients can use in recovery and beyond to help overcome behavioral health and substance use disorders.
If you’re unsure if you need treatment or therapy for a substance use disorder, then ask yourself these questions as part of the CAGE-AID substance abuse screening tool. If you can answer “yes” to two or more of the questions, then we recommend seeking professional help right away.
- Have you ever felt that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking or drug use?
- Do you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever had a drink or used drugs first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
Getting Treatment at Crossroads
Recovery involves healing the mind, body, and spirit. At Crossroad, we have been offering our services for almost 50 years. All of our programs include a variety of therapeutic modalities and holistic and alternative therapies. Our treatment facility offers many treatment options from our campus in Maine.
- Residential women’s treatment center
- Rehab for women with children
- Substance use treatment programs
- Eating disorder treatment programs
- Dual diagnosis treatment center
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP)
The Crossroads team is made up of caring and compassionate health professionals ready to help you on your journey to recovery. Contact us today at 877.978.1667 to learn more.