If you’re struggling with addiction, you need to know you’re not alone. At Crossroads Maine, we know the challenges that you’re facing, and we also know how to help you overcome them. Our women’s treatment program for addiction gives you the skills you need to grow, thrive, and recover from addiction. However, you may be asking, do I need an addiction treatment program? What should I look for in a treatment program? How do I know where to go? We can help you get the answers you need. To learn more, contact Crossroads Maine today.
Do I Need a Treatment Program for Addiction?
When you begin using drugs or alcohol, you activate your brain’s reward system. This activation causes the euphoric feeling that you’re chasing. Unfortunately, the more you use substances, the more you crave that feeling. Chasing the high may lead you to do many things that you wouldn’t normally do.
The fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders recognizes 11 symptoms that indicate an addiction. The more of these signs you show, the more severe your addiction is. These symptoms include:
- Taking the drug or alcohol in more significant amounts or for longer periods than you’re meant to do
- Having urges or cravings to use the substance
- Spending a significant amount of time obtaining, using, or recovering from using the drug or alcohol
- Wanting to cut down or stop using the drug or alcohol, but being unable to do so
- Being unable to complete responsibilities at home, work, or school due to your drug or alcohol use
- Giving up social, recreational, or professional activities that were important to you in favor of using drugs or alcohol
- Continuing to use drugs or alcohol, even when it causes issues in your relationships
- Continuing to use drugs and alcohol repeatedly, though it puts you in danger
- Using drugs or alcohol though it causes or worsens physical or psychological problems
- Developing a tolerance, meaning that you need more of the substance to get the same effect
- Struggling with withdrawal symptoms, which only go away when you use the drug or alcohol again
Only a substance abuse treatment expert can determine how severe your addiction is. As a result, it’s vital to seek a treatment program for addiction as soon as you think that you may struggle with addiction.
What Should I Look For in a Treatment Program for Addiction?
If you think that you have an addiction to drugs or alcohol, the next step is to look for an addiction treatment program. There are several things that you need to keep in mind when you’re looking for treatment. For instance, if you also have a mental health condition, you need to look for an addiction treatment program that offers dual diagnosis treatment. Dual diagnosis treatment addresses both conditions simultaneously, giving you the tools to handle both. Dual diagnosis treatment gives you the highest chances for long-term recovery.
You should also seek out a certified gender-specific treatment. Many women don’t feel safe sharing their experiences with addiction in a co-ed environment due to trauma or past abuse. For these individuals, a women’s treatment program for addiction is ideal. In women’s addiction treatment, you know that you’re in a safe and welcoming environment. We can help you address issues that specifically affect women, such as pregnancy, menopause, and relationship problems.
Contact Crossroads Maine
At Crossroads Maine, we can help you put an end to addiction. We know that you’re facing frightening or overwhelming challenges, but we also know that we can help. For more information about our women’s treatment program for addiction, contact Crossroads Maine today at 877.978.1667.