Drugs and alcohol impact your body inside and out. Aside from contributing to poor decision making and risky behavior, substance misuse can also take a physical toll on your body. Overall, you may notice that you just don’t feel well. Waking up with a hangover, pounding headache, feeling exhausted, or experiencing nausea or vomiting can quickly turn a good day into a bad one. The euphoria, energy, or relaxation caused by drugs or alcohol is short-lived. Other ways addiction can affect you physically are:
- Increased risk for at least seven different types of cancer.
- Increased risk of heart disease or liver disease. These organs are critical to your health and you want to ensure they’re working as effectively as possible; substance use can damage your heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, and other organs.
- Your skin my become flushed and puffy, or it may look dry and ashy. Certain drugs can make skin itchy or trigger acne and other reactions.
- Alcohol can help you to fall asleep more quickly, but your body doesn’t stay asleep or go through as many REM cycles, which can leave you feeling more tired the next day.
- Drugs and alcohol impair your body’s ability to properly absorb and process vitamins and nutrients. They can also increase or decrease your appetite.
In recovery at Crossroads, you’ll be able to start healing your body and boosting your health and well-being. Through proper nutrition and exercise you can get your body into a healthier state and repair of some the damage caused. Therapy, education, counseling, and other activities will help you to feel mentally prepared to achieve long-term recovery and reduce your risk of addiction relapse.
You can lead a healthier lifestyle and have more energy and resilience than before by engaging in addiction treatment and keeping an open mind. Remember who you wanted to be at Crossroads and overcome the impact of addiction on your body, mind, and spirit.
[cta] If you’re tired of the way addiction leaves you feeling and are ready to turn your life around for the better, contact Crossroads today! [/cta]